Gosforth Park Out of School Club recognises the importance of having robust systems in place to ensure the safe arrival and departure of the children in our care.
The manager will ensure that an accurate record is kept of all children in the Club, and that any arrivals or departures are recorded in the register. The register is kept in an accessible location on the premises at all times. In addition we conduct regular headcounts during the session.
Escorting children to the Club
· The Club and school have a clear agreement concerning the transfer of responsibility for children’s safety.
· We have risk assessed the route used to escort children to the Club and review it regularly.
· St Oswalds Year 1 to Year 6 children meet staff in the dining hall, reception children are collected directly from the class teacher.
· Broadway East Year 1 to Year 4 children make their way via the Broadway East school hall directly in to the Gosforth Park school hall, reception children are collected directly from the class teacher.
· Gosforth Park Year 1 to Year 4 children make their own way along to the school hall, reception children are collected directly from the class teacher.
· Gosforth East children make their own way to the club.
· A minimum of two members of staff will escort the children from St Oswalds school to the Club. The 1:10 ratio will be observed.
· If a child is booked into the Club but is not at the collection point, we will check whether the child was present at school that day. If the whereabouts of the child is not known, staff will immediately inform the class teacher at the school and will ask them to implement their Missing Child policy. If the teacher says that the child went home with someone else or the parents but the Club has not been informed the staff will treat this as an absence and follow the procedure set out below.
Our staff will greet each child warmly on their arrival at the Club and will record the child’s attendance in the daily register straightaway, including time of arrival for Gosforth East children and children arriving later from other activities. All children arriving straight from school will be ticked as present which will mean they arrived at the end of the school day – 3 to 3.10pm SOPS, 3.20 – 3.30pm BEFS, 3.30-3.40pm GPFS
· Staff will ensure that parents or carers sign children out before they leave, including the time of collection.
· Children are collected by an adult who has been authorised to do so on their registration form.
· In exceptional circumstances, if the parent requires another person who is not listed on the registration form to collect their child, the child’s parents or carers must inform the Club in advance and provide a description of the person and a password that they will use or photo ID that they will show. If the manager has any concerns regarding the person collecting he/she will contact the main parent or carer for confirmation.
· The parent or carer must notify the Club if they will be late collecting their child. If the Club is not informed, the Uncollected Children policy will be followed.
· Children over the age of eight will only be allowed to leave the Club alone at the end of the session if the Club has discussed this with the child’s parents and has received their written consent.
· Children below the age of eight will not be allowed to leave the Club unaccompanied.
Departures to Schools
St Oswalds Primary School – all children are escorted by the appropriate number of staff ensuring a 1:13 ratio. They are taken to the infants playground where the junior aged children then leave them to go in to school through the juniors entrance. The staff wait with the children until the doors are open. The infant children then go in to the school unaccompanied and the reception children are taken directly in to the classroom.
Broadway East First School – all children are allowed in to BEFS via the school hall at 9am. The reception children are taken to their classroom by out of school club staff.
Gosforth Park First School – all children are allowed down to the classrooms at 9am. The reception children are taken to their classroom by out of school club staff.
GEMS – all children walk unaccompanied to school. Children leave the club at 8.40am unless the parents/carers have provided a signed letter to state that they would like their child to leave earlier.
All schools – In the event of a child falling ill during the morning session the parents will be called. If the parents have not arrived by the start of the school day the child will be taken to school and handed over in to the care of the school administrative staff at the office.
· If a child is going to be absent from a session, parents must notify the Club in advance.
· If a child is absent without explanation, staff will contact the parents or carers and the school to check where the child should be. If staff still have concerns about the child’s whereabouts after attempts to contact the parents and the school the manager will contact the police.
· The Club will try to discover the causes of prolonged and unexplained absences. Regular absences could indicate that a child or their family might need additional support.
· If a parent’s number is out of date then please inform the Directors.